Followers

Friday, July 8, 2016

Speak To The Hand

Speak to the hand 

As far as I can remember, I never had a deaf acquaintance or a deaf family member. Therefore, no one in my family could understand why I chose to work with the Deaf. Obviously it is hard work. To them, learning to sign is like learning a different language and it is out of the question. Moreover to understand their culture and working on issues surrounding the Deaf community with little recognition. 

I am now in my 3rd year volunteering with the deaf. I am using American Sign Language, whilst my deaf friends uses the Malaysian Sign Language. Well, they can still comprehend my awfully crafted signs..haha...Anyway American Sign Language was first brought into Malaysia as a language for the deaf, where it has transformed to Malaysian Sign Language to better suit the culture.

Let me share some pictures ...

Deaf Family Carnival Day



Our briefing, before sending the deaf kids off for their tour on a Cruise Ship






Me and Mr Patrick from Mental Health Association

I am always the one to take the pic. huhuu


Please don't ask me which one is deaf? Or how do you know these are deaf ? A normal question I always receive from hearing is "How does the deaf looks like?"

 Urgghh..."They look human, honey"


There is so much to write about the deaf in Malaysia, generally. And those issues are reasons  why I am so Happy that I've finally came into their world. For me to make a difference no matter how small it is. They are talented and fun to be with. Opportunities is what they don't have :( ...

No comments:

Post a Comment